Canada is not only a great place to work, live, or study, it can also be a great spot for a vacation. With landscapes varying from mountains to plains, with great forests and coastlines, and vibrant cultural hubs and cities, Canada is a beautiful temporary destination.  If you are planning to visit Canada, or have children or grandchildren living permanently in Canada, you may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Visa or Super Visa.

To assist with your visit to Canada, the immigration lawyers at Brace Law have compiled their most asked questions about visitor visas. Whether you are planning to visit for a couple of days, or a couple of years, learn more about Temporary Resident Visas and Super Visas today.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

1. How do I know if I need to apply for a visitor visa (TRV)?

If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada, you may need a TRV to be authorized to enter Canada for instances such as vacation or visiting family.

2. What are the requirements of a TRV

To be eligible for a TRV, some conditions you must satisfy include having sufficient funds to maintain yourself and to return home by the end of your stay.

3. Do I require vaccinations for international travel?

To know more about vaccinations for international travel, continue to follow government guidance.

4. Can I fill out one visa application for my whole family if we are travelling together?

No, each individual must complete and sign their own applications for Temporary Resident Visa, in addition to other forms as needed.

5. What is the difference between a TRV and a visitor record?

A visitor visa permits you to leave and re-entry to Canada whereas a visitor record grants a visitor status in Canada and allows them to extend their stay in Canada as a visitor.

6. Do I need a visitor visa if I’m travelling through Canada to another country?

In some circumstances, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to transit through Canada by air.  The requirements vary depending on your mode of transportation.

 7. How do I know if I need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

 You may need an eTA if you are a traveller who doesn’t require a visa to visit Canada, and if you are travelling by air.

Super Visa

8. What is a super visa?

A super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for up to 5 years at a time. It’s a multi- entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.

People who have a super visa also have the option to request to extend their stay by up to 2 years at a time while in Canada.

9. Who is eligible for a super visa?

To be eligible for a super visa, you must be the parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents and meet other eligibility requirements. For more information on how to apply, contact our immigration lawyers at Brace Law.

10. Is the super visa a multi-entry visa?

The Super Visa is a multi- entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to five years at a time in Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only.

11. What is the difference between the super visa and a regular visa?

With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to five years without the need to renew their status.

We hope that this information has helped you determine whether you need a visa to visit Canada. If you are unsure of your eligibility, or need more information on temporary visas, the immigration lawyers at Brace Law can help. To contact Brace Law directly, call 905-815-6555. For more information on how you can Live, Work, or Study in Canada, visit our Immigration Information page and submit your information. When you work with Brace Law, you can Consider It Handled.

We serve our clients in English, Italian, Albanian, Arabic, Punjabi, Farsi, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil and Urdu with offices in Oakville and Vaughan. Call us at 905-815-6555 or email We can help! We Offer Consultations & Meetings by Phone & Virtually. Affordable Fees.