Study In Canada

A. Study Permit

The study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at an educational institution in Canada and allows a student to reside in Canada for the duration of their studies.

To Study in Canada, you must be enrolled at a designated learning institution, a Canadian university, college, technical institute or the like.  You must also demonstrate to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that you will have sufficient money to pay for living expenses and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, as well as your tuition fees.

In addition, it is important that you prove to IRCC that you have sufficient ties to your home country and that you will return home upon the completion of your studies.

If you have a study permit and you are a full-time student at a designated learning institution, you may qualify to work on-campus or off-campus up to 20 hours per week during your semester and full-time during your semester breaks.

B. Post-Graduate Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from designated Canadian learning institutions to obtain an open work permit to work in Canada. The benefits of this work permit include no job offer requirement; a duration of up to 3 years (subject to the official length of program completed); and eligibility for Provincial Healthcare. An international student can only receive one PGWP in their lifetime. 

A minimum of one year of work experience in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B obtained through the PGWP may support your application for temporary residency.

To apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You must have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic semester, except your last academic semester, and completed a program of study that led to a degree, diploma, or certificate.  If you meet all the eligibility requirements, except that you are enrolled in part-time studies in your final academic semester, you will still be eligible for the PGWPP.
  2. You have received a transcript and an official letter confirming program completion (these documents must be included in your application).
  3. You must apply for a PGWP within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from your educational institution that you have met the requirements for completing your program.
  4. You must hold a valid study permit when you apply.

After you have applied for a PGWP, you may immediately begin working full-time while you are waiting for a decision on your application, only if you meet all of the following conditions:

  1. You have completed your program of study.
  2. You have a valid study permit when you submitted your application and applied within 90 days of receiving your transcript and/or official letter confirming program completion.
  3. You were eligible to work off-campus without a work permit.
  4. During academic semesters, you did not work off-campus for more than 20 hours per week.

Contact Brace Law today and see if you are eligible for a study or post-graduate work permit.