If you have been living in Canada for some time, you may be wondering about the next steps of continuing to live in Canada. Before becoming a Canadian Citizen, prospective immigrants must obtain their Permanent Residence (PR) status. Brace Law is here to help you live in Canada, and has put together answers to your top PR questions to help you through the process. Read on to learn about how to become a Permanent Resident in Canada!

1. What is the difference between citizenship and permanent residency in Canada?

The main difference between citizenship and permanent residency in Canada is that prior to becoming a citizen, one must become a permanent resident. To be eligible to become a citizen, you must meet certain requirements.

2. What are the residency requirements for PR status in Canada?

You must stay in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years to keep your permanent residency status.

3. Can I travel outside of Canada without my PR card?

No, you need a valid PR card to return to Canada.

4. Can I travel outside of Canada if I haven’t received my permanent resident card yet?

In the event that you are approved as a permanent resident, and haven’t received your permanent resident card, you may apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from your closest Visa Application Centre on arrival to your destination to ensure you are able to return to Canada.

5. Can I apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) from within Canada?

No, you must apply for a PRTD from the country to which you are travelling.

6. If I am granted Canadian citizenship, what happens to my permanent resident card?

Your PR card will no longer be valid once you are granted Canadian citizenship.

We hope that this information has helped you understand the process for becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada. To learn more about the process of living in Canada, read about the steps to becoming a Canadian Citizen! If you have additional questions about becoming obtaining your PR status, the Immigration Lawyers are here to help. Call 905-815-6555 for a consultation or visit https://bracelaw.ca/work-study-live-in-canada/and submit your information… It’s that easy! When you work with Brace Law, you can Consider It Handled!

We serve our clients in English, Italian, Albanian, Arabic, Punjabi, Farsi, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil and Urdu with offices in Oakville and Vaughan. Call us at 905-815-6555 or email admin@bracelaw.ca. We can help! We Offer Consultations & Meetings by Phone & Virtually. Affordable Fees.