Canada is a desirable place to work, with dynamic cities, top employers, and great quality of life. However, if you are interested in coming to Canada to work, you will need to obtain a work permit. Depending on your circumstances, the permit that you are eligible to apply for and its application requirements may differ. Don’t know where to start? Read on for the answers to our ten most common questions about obtaining a work permit in Canada.

1. What are the requirements to apply for a work permit in Canada?

The requirements vary depending on your location at the time of the application. However, a few of the conditions you must satisfy include proving that you have a job offer letter and an LMIA number. To learn about additional eligibility requirements, contact the immigration lawyers at Brace Law.

2. What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?

An LMIA is a document required by a Canadian employer to hire a foreign worker. It also proves that there was no Canadian citizen or permanent resident available to do the job.

3. Do I need an LMIA to work in Canada if I am an entrepreneur?

No, you may apply for a work permit itself. However, you must meet satisfy certain conditions to operate a business in Canada. The immigration lawyers at Brace Law can help you understand whether you meet these requirements.

4. What is the difference between an LMIA expiry date and a work permit expiry date?

An LMIA expiry date is the date which the foreign worker must have applied, whereas the work permit expiry date is determined by the IRCC when a foreign worker applies for the permit. It tells you how long you can work and stay in Canada.

5. What is an open work permit?

An open work permit isn’t limited to one job, meaning you are exempt from requirements such as providing an LMIA.

6. Can I appeal a decision on my work permit application?

No, you are unable to appeal on your application. However, if you think your application process was unfair, you may have the opportunity to ask for a judicial review through the Federal Court of Canada. Alternatively, you may reapply.

7. Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?

Usually, your spouse or common-law partner will require a work permit of their own to be eligible to work in Canada.

8. How can I find jobs in Canada?

There are several resources that may help you with your job search including Job Bank and Job Match.

9. Can I extend my work permit?

Yes, you may be able to apply to extend it or change conditions on it.

10. Can I keep working if my work permit has expired?

You must stop working in Canada, however, you may be able to apply to restore your status as a worker. For more information on how to do so, contact the immigration lawyers at Brace Law.

We hope that this list has answered your most pressing questions, and that you feel more comfortable with the process of applying for a Canadian work permit.  If you still have questions, or would like more information on the process, or are unsure how to begin your application, the team at Brace Law is here to help.

We serve our clients in English, Albanian, Italian, Arabic, Punjabi, Hindi, Farsi and Urdu with offices in Oakville and Vaughan. Call us at 905-815-6555 or email We can help! We Offer Consultations & Meetings by Phone & Virtually. Affordable Fees. Choose Brace Law and consider it handled.