Making a decision to study in Ontario or in Canada is a big decision and it’s something that you need to take time to think about. There are expenses that are related to it and it’s not just the tuition that you need to be concerned about. You need to think about your lifestyle, where you’re going to stay, transportation and living expenses.

Ontario has a lot of Great schools, colleges and universities. Before asking for professional legal advice, you should have already done your research to know which school, college or university you prefer to attend.

To be approved for a study permit you are required to apply for a study permit if your education is 6 months or longer. If you are coming into Canada to study English or to improve your English and the course is up to six months, you don’t need a study permit. If you are enrolling in a college or university, you would need a study permit because usually the programs are longer than 6 months.

You also need to be enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in order to be approved for a study permit. A DLI is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions. If you plan to attend a post-secondary school, make sure it is on this list.

You need to know if you are eligible to work after you graduate. Not all designated learning institutions make you eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Along with graduating from an eligible designated learning institution, you need to meet all other criteria to get a post-graduation work permit. Find out more on the DLI website. If you apply at a program in a popular college or university, you would be eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit once you graduate. This permit would allow you to work at any desired workplace for a certain amount of years.

Most universities in Ontario; Brock, York, University of Guelph, University of Toronto, Ryerson, etc., are approved for the Post-Graduate Work Permit. Most colleges like Seneca, George Brown, Humber, etc. also have programs that are eligible for Post-Graduate Work Permit.

Once you have applied to the school of your choice, you must have a Letter of Acceptance. Without a Letter of Acceptance, you cannot start a study permit application. Most colleges or universities will require that you take a language requirement test. They will also require you to make a tuition deposit. You will need the confirmation of this deposit once you have been accepted in order to apply for your study permit application

Another thing that is required is Proof of Funds that are separate from your tuition funds or your education funds. You need to show that you have enough money to survive as a student without work in Canada or without any financial assistance. Usually $10,000 is required to show that you have enough funds to survive for 1 year.

Brace Law can help you through the process of getting a study permit in Canada.  We also have teachers on our staff who can assist students with finding the right educational institution and help guide you in the right direction.

For more details, contact Brace Law at 905-815-6555 or email