Canada is a top destination to live, work, and study. If you are a student hoping to study in Canada, you must first obtain a study permit. While the application may seem daunting, do not fear! The Immigration Lawyers at Brace Law have put together their top 11 questions and answers, to help you beat the stress of applying for a study permit. Read on to learn more about how you can begin your studies in Canada.

1. Do I need a study permit in Canada?

A study permit is required if you are a foreign national who intends to undergo educational, professional, vocational, or other training within Canada from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) for a minimum of 6 months.

2. What is a Designated Learning Institution? 

A designated learning institution (DLI) is an institution approved by the provincial and territorial governments to admit international students.

3. How do I apply for a study permit?

One main requirement is that you be admitted to a DLI in Canada at the time of the application. For more information on how to obtain a study permit, contact our immigration lawyers.

4. When should I apply for a study permit?

You should apply for a study permit as soon as you are admitted into a DLI as processing times vary.

5. Do I need to change my study permit if I am changing schools?

No, you do not need to change your study permit if you are changing schools. You must, however, apply to change the conditions of your study permit. For more information on how to do so, contact Brace Law’s immigration lawyers.

6. How long will it take to process my study permit application?

Processing times vary depending on the type of application you submit and the country from which you are submitting.

7. Will I still need a study permit if I plan to study in Canada for less than 6 months?

Applying for a study permit if you plan to study for less than 6 months depends on your location at the time of your application, and whether you are a fully vaccinated traveller. For more information on how to apply, contact our immigration lawyers.

8. Can I go back home while studying? 

Yes, you are able to travel to your home country while on a study permit. However, you will require either a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) upon return, as your study permit alone doesn’t authorize re-entry into Canada.

9. How long can I stay in Canada with a study permit?

You may stay in Canada for the duration of your study program at a DLI, in addition to 90 extra days.

10. Can I work while studying in Canada?

You can work while studying in Canada if there is a condition on your study permit that allows you to do so. However, you cannot work in Canada prior to your study program beginning.

11. Will I be eligible to look for work in Canada after I graduate?

To be eligible to work in Canada after you graduate, you can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) from inside Canada if you meet the eligibility requirements. For more information about the application process, contact our immigration lawyers at Brace Law.

We hope that these answers have helped you better understand the process for obtaining a Study Permit in Canada. If you are still unsure, or need additional guidance with the application process, the team at Brace Law is here to help!  Head to our Immigration Information page, submit your information, and one of our Immigration lawyers will be in contact… it’s as simple as that! When you work with Brace Law, you can Consider It Handled!

We serve our clients in English, Mandarin, Italian, Albanian, Arabic, Punjabi, Farsi, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil and Urdu, with Offices In Oakville And Vaughan. Call us at 905-815-6555 or email We can help! We Offer Consultations & Meetings by Phone & Virtually. Affordable Fees.