Visit Canada

A. Temporary Resident Visa or eTA?

Which do I need? TRV or eTA?:

More than 35 million temporary residents visit Canada every year. Unless you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, it is likely that you will need permission to enter Canada as a visitor.  

If you are a citizen from a visa-exempt country travelling by air, you are required to apply for an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before your departure to Canada.

If you are not a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

What is an eTA?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to Canada.

In other words, people from countries who do not require a visa to visit Canada are required to get an eTA, and only if they are travelling to Canada by air or making a transit through a Canadian airport.

What is a TRV and how do I apply for one?

Like other visas, a TRV is a document issued by the Immigration Office that allows an individual to visit Canada as a visitor. The TRV may be issued for single or multiple entry but tourists are typically issued a visa for 6 months. Extensions can be applied for from within Canada.

Most applications for TRVs are for individuals who wish to visit Canada for tourism or another personal reason, that is not for a work or business purpose. Typically, when someone is applying for a TRV, they must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay and that their stay will be temporary.

Please note that possession of a valid TRV does not guarantee entry by the Officer at the Port of Entry in Canada. Visitors must demonstrate that their visit in Canada will be temporary.

B. Super Visa

Which do I need? TRV or eTA?:

A Super Visa is a special visa for the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents to visit Canada as a long term visitor on a multi entry visa. A Super Visa allows for multiple entries, over a 10 year period for two years at a time.

The Super Visa could be an ideal option for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to sponsor their parents and are currently waiting or are ineligible for the parental PR. The financial requirement for the Super Visa is less strict than a PR sponsorship, with a lower minimum necessary income.

To be eligible for a Super Visa:

  • The applicant must be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • Complete a medical examination and purchase the proper medical  insurance coverage;
  • Have a written commitment of financial support from the sponsor and
  • The sponsor must demonstrate they meet the required financial requirements

C. Business Visitor

There are several situations in which an individual may want to visit Canada for business purposes without needing a work permit.

There are a number of valid reasons why an individual will need to come to Canada as a business visitor, such as attending a meeting, conference or convention, taking orders for goods or services, or training employees of a Canadian subsidiary.

The business visa is intended to provide entry to individuals engaging in business on a temporary basis but not intending on entering the Canadian labour market.

Contact Brace Law today if you have  further questions in regards to entering Canada temporarily.

Don’t stress

Let’s start a conversation

Don’t stress

Let’s start a conversation