Canada is known worldwide for the leading reputations of its academic institutions and research facilities. Canadian academic institutions continue to attract top tier students to their respected and prestigious programs, drawing many foreign students to Canada.

Foreign students interested in enrolling in a Canadian academic institution need to apply for a Study Permit with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before planning their trip to Canada. The application process involves several steps, and it is recommended that you start preparing for the application process at least one year in advance.

In addition to obtaining the IRCC Study Permit, foreign students will need to follow the specific academic institution’s regulations.  This will often include the possession of an updated passport and successful test results from a Language Proficiency Test.  In order to study in Canada, prospective students need to prove they are proficient in one of Canada’s two official languages, French or English.

Prior to the start of the Study Permit process, interested students must begin by applying to the academic institution(s) where they hope to pursue their studies in Canada. To improve your application results, it is recommended that the field of study you choose to apply to remains consistent with past studies and experience.

The application process for the Study Permit can only begin once the interested student receives a letter of acceptance from the desired academic institution. At that time, a permission to study application can be completed with the IRCC. Many supporting documents will need to accompany the application, including proof of financial support and proof of significant ties to the country of origin.

Proof of financial support is required to prove that the student can finically support themselves and take care of any additional financial responsibilities associated with their chosen field of study, while abroad in Canada. Depending on their field of study, students may need to purchase textbooks, lab supplies, or additional materials. They will also need to be able to afford accommodations, whether they will be staying in student accommodations or finding their own space to live in during their stay. As many students may begin their studies prior to gaining an independent income, applicants can also include proof of support from their parents to fulfill this requirement.

It is also important for the applicant to outline significant ties to their originating country. Officials will weigh the likelihood that an applicant will return home after the completion of their studies as a part of the application process. While many students may plan to live in Canada when their studies are completed, the Study Permit does not cover this, and interested students will need to apply for further permits to remain in Canada.

Successful applicants will receive a Study Permit that will outline the date the student can travel to Canada to pursue their studies abroad.

Once your studies are complete, you can apply for express entry to become a Permanent Resident or apply to be a part of the Post Graduate Work Permit Program. Changes have recently been made to both application processes to make the transition from Study Permit easier.

If you are interested in studying abroad in Canada or would like to apply for Permanent Residency after your Study Permit, contact Brace Law for a consultation. Brace law can provide expert advice and guide you through the process of obtaining your permit.

We serve our clients in English, Albanian, Italian, Arabic, Punjabi, Hindi, Farsi and Urdu with offices in Oakville and Vaughan. Call us at 905-815-6555 or email We can help! We Offer Consultations & Meetings by Phone & Virtually. Affordable Fees. Choose Brace Law and consider it handled.