Ready to jet off on a trip while waiting for your Permanent Resident (PR) card in Canada? While it’s generally not recommended to leave the country during the PR card application process, we understand that sometimes it’s necessary. Here’s what you need to know before you pack your bags.

If you are planning to travel by a commercial vehicle such as a plane, train, bus, or boat, you will need a valid PR card to return to Canada. If your Permanent Resident card is set to expire before your trip, make sure to renew it before you leave, as PR cards can only be renewed within Canada. Keep in mind that PR cards won’t be sent to non-Canadian addresses or released to third parties for pickup.

But what if you’re already outside Canada and don’t have a Permanent Resident card? Don’t worry, you can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return. Without a PR card or PRTD, you may face challenges when trying to cross the border on a commercial vehicle. To avoid any travel hiccups, apply for a PRTD while you’re outside Canada and in need of re-entry.

If you’re unsure about your specific Permanent Resident case and travel plans, consider booking a consultation with Brace Law. We offer services in multiple languages, including English, Italian, Albanian, Arabic, Punjabi, Farsi, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, and Urdu, and have offices in Oakville and Vaughan. Contact us at 905-815-6555 or email for affordable fees, consultations, and meetings by phone or virtually. With Brace Law, you can trust that your PR case will be handled with care and expertise.

So, before you embark on your travel adventures, make sure you’re well informed about the requirements and options for travelling while waiting for your PR card in Canada. Safe travels!